Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 7

From Evernote:

Day 7

Cheese and rice.
Up at six today for a seven 45 start. Walkers heading west have told us this is a big day in both distance and mud. Last night it rained and rained. Mr Tarp put in a good performance and justified his price tag in a single evening. Without the tarp we'd be confined to the tent, with we had space to cook, a line to try and dry some gear and a even had guests around (Kim and Kerry).
This day had been billed as a big one by the guide book and a number of the walkers we met. certainly the ascent to Flat Rock was muddy but if you accept the mud rather than trying to dodge it we found we could make fair progress. It took us 6:30 to get across to Sandy Cape Rivulet.
The rain had swollen the rivulet and for a while it looked like there would be no way through. Eventually I found a route higher upstream, but it was fairly full on even for me. I asked Joe to brace the young Edmondson from the western side (her hind legs are on the short side) and together we made it across.
Just before Lion Rock Rachel sprinted ahead then hid in the bushes. I didn't notice her as a trudged by. When I got to Lion Rock, no Rachel. Oh dear. I left my walking sticks at the junction and was just about to search the campsite when she appeared on the beach behind me. Apparently she'd been waiting for me at a view point. (Q: why do I carry the distress beacon?)
Lion Rock promised a nice campsite but then the rain blew in. We enjoyed our unscheduled seventh meal in the tent. Cheese and Rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment