Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 4

From Evernote:

Day 4

Had to make a fast exit from the high camp. We had breakfast in bed, me crouching over a hot stove trying not to burn the tent down. In the tent it's quite warm enough to sit around in a t-shirt. With the tent down Rachel got very cold very quickly.
Both Bruce and the guide book had warned us about the descent from the Ironbounds; muddy, slippery and full of roots. And so it was. It's difficult to not to get frustrated by the slow progress. It took us an hour and a half to get down to the mid camp @ 390m. That's a journey of 900m according to the guide book. Just when you think it can't go on any further it goes on and keeps going. I maintained my humor to the bottom when I slipped and turned my ankle again.
Trenchfoot. I expected to the Six Foot marathon last week to have some impact; tired legs, twisted ankles, blisters. What I had not expected was trench foot. On the 6 foot you get wet feet at 15 and 20km. You then run the rest in wet shoes. I think this had sucked all the natural oils from the skin. Wet feet from wading on the South Coast Track and the soles of my feet were really sore.
Eventually we came down to Little Deadmans Cove. The wind here was still howling. We had lunch (laughing cow, pereroni and biscuits) then set out on the 1.5km to Deadmans Creek.
Liquid mud.
Time for a new rucksack unfortunately. Padding has broken down on chest and waist straps. I'll have to thank Darren for the use of his Pod for the last ten years.
Moved the cooking gear onto the beach so we can watch the sea over dinner.
Strong winds. A few thicker clouds. Still fine out to sea.
Q:'why does your rucksack stay heavier longer than a weekend in the blue mountains. I caught myself whinging today. How come when we're doing a weekend walk in the Blue Mountains the pack gets really light on the second day, yet now our packs are staying so heavy? Circular argument. In the Blueys we carry food for only 3 days, so one days food is a significant change. With 7 days you start heavier and stay heavier longer.
Camping in woodland east of Deadmans Creek. In bed by eight pm as I write this. Ainsley Harriet's couscous tonight with surprise veg. This followed by dried fruit in custard the old favorite. Moved the wine back out of my drink bottle into the one functioning wine bladder. Those things are not strong enough to sit on. Washed some clothes as well. Rachel noticed sores on my back where the rucksack has been chaffing. All in all a good day, weight becoming more manageable though the mud today was a shocker. Will wear gaiters again tomorrow.
Bent my left walking pole today. Fell over with it stuck in the mud. Not happy about that. Have to look at a bent one all day now.

No comments:

Post a Comment